The Jorhat district administration is in full preparedness to tackle any untoward incident if arises following the publication of the final draft National Register of Citizens on July 30.
Deputy Commissioner Narayan Konwar and Superintendent of Police Vaibhav Nimbalkar briefed media persons at the new Circuit House here on Saturday about various security measures adopted by the district administration ahead of the final draft NRC publication.
Konwar said that of the 67 NRC Seva Kendras in Jorhat district, 26 had been identified as comparatively safe, 40 as sensitive and one at Mariani as very sensitive.
Konwar further said that of the 9,41,616 applicants in the district, 8,46,662 had been verified to be correct.
The DC said that no one should panic after not finding name in the NRC as from August 7 one can lodge complaints and make claims.
Konwar further assured that Indian citizens from other states who did not wish to be included in the NRC of the state would not face any harassment or discrimination.
Nimbalkar said the district has been divided into three zones and each zone would be under the supervision of an Additional SP or DSP.
“Apart from the Assam Police force already present here two additional contingents of security forces including one of CISF would be deployed to control any unanticipated situation,” he further said.
Nimbalkar said that strict monitoring of the social media was also on to quell rumour mongering and false propaganda. Moreover trouble makers under each NSK had been identified and a close watch was being kept over them.
The SP asked the media to confirm any news before publishing or airing as many times these were found to be based on false claims.
There would be rapid response teams strategically positioned and a special control room had been set up which would be manned round the clock.
The numbers for the control room are 03762320018, 9435713190 and for the district emergency operation is 03762300124.
The SP said that the security had been tightened as per the guidelines issued by the MHA to Assam and neighbouring states ahead of the draft NRC release.
A statement issued by the Union Home Minister, New Delhi on July 22 said that NRC was being updated in Assam in accordance with the Assam Accord signed on August 15, 1985 and that the entire process was being carried out as per directions of the Supreme Court which was also monitoring the process.
The statement said that the government wanted to make it clear that the NRC to be published on July 30 was only a draft and that adequate opportunity for claims and objections would be available and that adequate opportunity to be heard would be given before disposal and then final NRC would be published.