Representational image.

The Jorhat district administration has appealed to the people to cooperate and support the administration during the indefinite lockdown which began from today in order to contain the spread

The administration had earlier imposed a total lockdown under Jorhat Municipal Board areas from July 9 to July 15 but with the surge in positive cases, the decision was taken to extend the lockdown and include 11 suburban areas besides the areas under municipal jurisdiction.

The administration gave several reasons for the extension the prime reason being the tremendous community spread.

Deputy commissioner Roshni A Korati stated that from July 1 to 9, the cases without travel history were 63 and this jumped to 286 on Thursday.

The total number of cases had also more than doubled in a span of 11 days.

Out of the total cases in Jorhat which was 605, total discharged was 250 and active cases 349. Today out of the 92 cases 77 were without travel history.

Korati further said that 54 healthcare workers had been infected and 18 police personnel in the past two weeks. Moreover there had been two deaths.

Over the past few weeks 10 containment zones had also been declared to contain the spread.

Due to Covid-19 infections, the OPD of the First Referral Unit at Titabar remain closed on Thursday as the personnel had to give samples.

The DC said that in this lockdown the supply chain of essentials would be kept open for groceries, relief, vegetables and medicines.

She appealed to the people to support the lockdown so that normal life could be resumed soon.

Avatar photo

NE NOW NEWS

Northeast Now is a multi-app based hyper-regional bilingual news portal. Mail us at: contact@nenow.in