At least 38 people have allegedly fallen ill after consuming prasad at Chabua in Dibrugarh district of Assam on Sunday. 

Most of the patients have been admitted at the Chabua Model Hospital. 

The patients complained about abdominal pain, vomiting and stomach upset, two to three hours after consuming the prasad. 

The incident has been reported from Dongda Chuuk at Chabua in Dibrugarh district of Assam.  

Also read: Assam: NMC approves new medical college in Lakhimpur 

On Saturday, during puja rituals, people consumed the prasad and fell ill.  

While most of the patients were admitted to the Chabua Model Hospital, some are being treated at the Tata Hospital in Chabua. 

Two patients, reported to be in critical condition, have been referred to Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH). 

Meanwhile, health officials from Dibrugarh have rushed to Chabua to take stock of the situation. 

“The patients had food poisoning after they consumed prasad. We are monitoring their health status,” a health official said. 

Avik Chakraborty

Avik Chakraborty is Northeast Now Correspondent in Dibrugarh. He can be reached at: