According to eye witnesses, the fire which broke out at around 11:30 pm from a gumti (shop) quickly engulfed the adjacent house. The fire is believed to have been caused by a short circuit; however, things got worse when LPG cylinders started bursting.
“The situation could have been worse had the fire brigade not responded quickly to the information about the incident. Though the shop and house could not be saved, but the fire fighters prevented the blaze from spreading further,” Anthony Yuto, a local of the area said.
Kotin Diru, owner of the burnt house informed that he could not save any of his belongings as everything happened all of a sudden. “We, however, managed to escape bare foot and avoided casualties,” he added. Diru informed that property worth more than Rs 18 lakh including his daughter’s school certificates and degree certificates got completely burnt in the blaze.
The owner of the shop, Dobam Mangha, on the other hand, said that the entire items that were in his shop have been reduced to ashes causing him a loss of more than Rs 1 lakh. Meanwhile, with assistance and contributions from Mechuka MLA PD Sona, UD Joint Director T Darang, Industries Director R Takuk, relatives and well-wishers, a temporary bamboo house has been constructed for Diru and his family.