Over 4 lakh people travelled to the United States (US) from China after the outbreak of COVID-19 was first detected in Wuhan in December last year.
According to a New York Times report, at least 430000 people had travelled in direct flights from China to various parts of the US.
“Since Chinese officials disclosed the outbreak of a mysterious pneumonia-like illness to international health officials on New Year’s eve, at least 430,000 people have arrived in the United States on direct flights from China, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after President Trump imposed restrictions on such travel, according to an analysis of data collected in both countries,” the report said.
Moreover, the health screening measures of travelers at the US airports were not strict enough.
As per the report, no travelers from China underwent health screening during the first half of January.
Health screening begun for travelers from Wuhan only from mid-January but that too only at the airports in Los Angeles, San Francisco and New York, the report said.
As on Sunday, the United States has at least 301,902 cases of coronavirus according to Johns Hopkins University’s tally.
United States (US) President Donald Trump on Saturday said that he had urged Indian Prime Minister NarendraModi to supply the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine to America to help in the treatment of COVID-19 patients there.