World Health Organization (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called COVID-19 as ‘Public Enemy No. 1’ and warned that “the worst is yet ahead of us”.
WHO Director-General Ghebreyesus while talking to reporters at WHO headquarters in Geneva revived the alarm while many of the countries across the world have eased restrictive measures taken in view of the COVID-19 outbreak.
However, Ghebreyesus didn’t specify why he believes the pandemic could become worse.
COVID-19 has infected so far 2.5 million people and claimed 1,17,850.
In India, the disease has infected 18,985 and killed 609 so far.
A report quoted the WHO chief as saying: “Trust us. The worst is yet ahead of us.”
“Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand,” he told the reporters.
In India, as a preventive measure to contain the spread of COVID-19, a 21-day nationwide lockdown was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from March 24 midnight.
The nationwide lockdown was extended up to May 3, 2020.
However, in order to keep the public services functioning and continue the agricultural productions, lockdown restriction has been eased in many sectors and activities in India.
However, educational institutions in India will continue to remain closed during the extended lockdown period up to May 3, 2020.
Some other Asian and European governments have also gradually eased or started relaxing “lockdown” measures like quarantines, school and business closures and restrictions on public gatherings.
While comparing the pandemic to the so-called Spanish flu more than a century ago, the WHO chief said the coronavirus has a “very dangerous combination … like the 1918 flu that killed up to 100 million people.”