In China, around 20 cities have been locked down and over 56 million people have been quarantined and at least 106 people have died after the outbreak of a new form of coronavirus was reported in Wuhan.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), over 4520 cases have been reported globally.
The virus has infected several persons in India as well and till Sunday, over 100 people were kept under observation in Kerala and Maharashtra.
Let’s know coronavirus
World Health Organization (WHO) identifies coronaviruses as a family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases including Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
The viruses were originally transmitted between animals and humans.
There are several known coronaviruses which are circulating in animals and are yet infect humans.
Coronavirus is derived from the Latin word corona, meaning crown or halo and under an electron microscope, the virus looks like a solar corona.
Symptoms of coronavirus
Signs of infection include fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
WHO further identifies pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome and kidney failure as some of the other symptoms of a coronavirus infected person.
WHO sources identify 10-14 days as the incubation period for the virus, however, the exact period still remains unknown.
- Maintain good hygiene by constantly washing hands with soap and cleaning them with hand sanitizers, especially after coughing, sneezing to prevent against coronavirus
- Avoid direct hand contact with eyes and nose as much as possible
- Wear masks in the heavily crowded areas
- An advice for the doctors too – Avoid as much as possible contact with patients and their personal tools and use masks
- When coughing and sneezing, use tissues to cover mouth and nose. After that, dispose of the used tissue in the trash can and then wash your hands thoroughly and properly
- When you sneeze and there are no tissues available, use the upper part of your arms to cover your mouth and nose and avoid using your hands
- Maintain good hygiene habits, in general, to prevent coronavirus
- Wash vegetable and fruits very well before eating them
- Keeping a good healthy diet and exercising along with other healthy habits, in addition to having enough sleep, will enhance the body’s immunity system.