Assam has registered the 29th COVID19 positive case.
The infected person is from the Dhubri district.
This is the first case in Assam, which has been tested positive after coming into contact with a COVID19 positive patient from the same district.
The first patient from Dhubri was confirmed as COVID19 case on April 7 and Assam health minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had claimed that the infected patient was “related to Nizamuddin Markaz event in Delhi”.
Informing about the latest COVID19 positive case in Assam, health minister tweeted at 7:59 pm on Thursday: “Alert ~ A person from Dhubri, who was in contact with a positive patient (with Markaz linkage) from the same district, has been confirmed as #COVID19 positive.”
“The total number of #Covid patients in #Assam now stands at 29,” he added.
Alert ~ A person from Dhubri, who was in contact with the first patient (with Markaz linkage) from the same district, has been confirmed as #COVID19 positive. The total number of #Covid patients in #Assam now stands at 29.
Update at 8.00 pm / April 9#AssamCovidCount
— Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) April 9, 2020
The first COVID19 positive patient from Dhubri is a 67-year-old man.
He is a resident of Mowatari village under Chapar Revenue Circle of Dhubri district.
“The person’s swab sample sent for testing at Gauhati Medical College & Hospital (GMCH) on April 5 and the report came back positive,” said Dr SM Emdad Ullah, joint director of health services, Dhubri.
According to sources, the man, who visited Nizamuddin, returned back to Guwahati on March 11 in Rajdhani Express and then he boarded a local train to Abhyapuri in Bongaigoan.
From Bongaigaon, he arrived at his residence located in Chapar on March 12, said sources.
“On March 18, he went to Bongaigaon to consult the doctor as he suffered from cough and other physical problems and since then, he was in home quarantine,” sources added.
Meanwhile, the district administration on Tuesday sent the 67-year-old man to Mahendra Mohan Choudhry Hospital (MMCH) in Guwahati for further treatment.
Samples of 18 other members of his family have also been collected and sent for test and all of them have been put in home quarantine, said official sources.
Ankur Bharali, additional deputy commissioner (health), Dhubri, said a total of 25 samples were sent for test and the reports of remaining 24 were found negative.
The police are also on the job to trace all the persons who came in contact with Dhubri’s first infected patient.
Earlier, a 38-year-old man from South Salmara Mankachar district of Lower Assam, who returned from Nizamuddin Markaz on March, was found positive for COVID-19.