The student bodies are worried as Delhi University announced the cut-offs for 2020 admissions at some of its colleges on Saturday with the cut-off marks in certain colleges touching 100%.
According to a media report, Lady Sri Ram (LSR) College for Women is offering admission to BA (Honours) Economics, BA (Honours) Political Science, and BA (Honours) Psychology programmes to students, who secured 100% marks as their best of four subjects score.
In the first list of LSR College, 100% is the requirement of marks for each of the three courses and if seats remain vacant then the required marks can be lowered in the second list.
The cut-off marks for admission to BA (Honours) Economics at Hindu College is 99.25%.
At Kirori Mal College, the report said, the cut-off marks for admission to BA (Honours) in Political Science is 99%.
For B. Com (Honours), Kirori Mal College is accepting admission at and above 99.75% marks.
It has been reported that BA (Honours) Economics and Political science are among the top courses this year.
Reacting over the cut-off marks set by the colleges under delhi University, the Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) stated that despite high cut-offs, every student would get the opportunity.
“Delhi University has always been very particular about its cut-off. However, in these difficult times of the pandemic, we completely understand that students all over the country are in a state of panic,” a media report quoted Akshit Dahiya, president, DUSU, as saying.
“I assure you that the University is entirely considerate about every child’s future and admission process. The university has an instilled admission trend with a display of high cut-offs going up to 97% and above in the first cut off.
“Even if so, only 10% of the seats are fulfilled by this cut-off, leaving a 90% room for the cut-offs released later, which generally prove to be less and convenient.
“With the coming of the second cut-off itself, students will be made at ease with a slight fall in the percentage which will gradually allow more students to be eligible,” added Dahiya.
Dahiya requested the students and their parents not to panic and to believe in the administration of the University.
The welfare of every deserving student is a definite priority to the Delhi University, he said.
The Students’ Federation of India also expressed concern over the high cut-offs in Delhi University.
Delhi-state president of the students’ body, Sumit Kataria stated that the colleges purportedly release high cut-offs to maintain their “high track record” leading to peer pressure among students.
“It has been a trend by varsity’s colleges to give priority to the creamy layer of students. It creates unnecessary psychological pressure over students,” the report quoted Kataria as saying.
“Those who don’t make to the cut-off list, feel dejected and also feel less worthy of themselves. However, the percentage does not reflect the true intelligence of students,” Kataria added.
This year a total of 3,54,003 students have applied for the 64,000 undergraduate seats.