Vacations are the time when we want to relax by keeping away all the worries aside. So, before leaving we do all the preparations in a way that our things remain safe while we are away and we do not need to alter our trip due to some unwanted situation back home. One such way is protecting our home. Here we are discussing some of the tips to protect your home when you are away on a vacation. These tips are:
- Lock the Windows and Doors Properly: Many times, while away from home, we think whether we have closed that door of our hose or not, whether we have latched the windows properly or not. It is one of the common issues. However, if you make a practice of checking the locks of all the windows and doors of your house before leaving, then you may not get confused. Locking the windows and doors properly saves us from the fear of theft.
- Get System for Home Monitoring: The security of your home is essential and this is one of the options to safeguard your home and even monitor it on your mobile phone. Some security systems enable you to see the live video even when you are far away from your home. This is one of the worth investments to get peace of mind.
- Purchase a Home Insurance Policy: A home insurance plan is something that protects your home and its valuable items in case of damage and loss. A home insurance plan is not only valuable for those who own a home but is also suitable for those who are living in a rented apartment. This is because you get renters insurance for getting the coverage for your valuable items at home.
- Leave a Set of Keys with Your Family Member or Friend: Leaving a set of keys with your family member or friend who lives nearby can save you from a lot of stress. First, it saves you from the situation of key loss as a set of your house keys are with someone trustworthy and secondly, he/she can visit your house every other day when you are out of town. Regular visits by a relative or friend can divert the mind of a crook who is keeping a watch on your house in your absence.
- Hold or Suspend Your Newspaper and Mail for Some Time: A pile of mails in your mailbox and newspaper in your veranda can give a hint that you are not at home. So, if you do not have someone from the family or some friend who can visit your home regularly when you are not in the city, then you should suspend these services for some time. You can write to the postal department of India for suspending the deliveries of mails and registries for sometime when you are not in the city. Moreover, you can even ask your newspaper provider to stop giving it for the period you are not in your home.
- Keep the Regular Maintenance of Your Home On: If you have a lawn in your home, then get its bushes trimmed on regular basis and get it mowed even when you are not in your home for the lawn. This makes to feel that someone is at home. In addition to this, you can set a schedule of radio or TV or lights to make seem that there is someone at home.
- Hide or Lock Your Valuables: When going out of town, keep in mind to hide or lock your valuables. Valuables like artifacts of your home should be hidden from the view of trespassers. Moreover, keep other valuable items like gold, silver, etc. in your bank’s locker before going out on vacation. Do not even leave your emergency house keys in obvious places like a shoe-rack drawer, window slit, etc. Take all the valuable items out of your car as well and lock your garage properly.
- Do Not Reveal Everything on Social Media: Even though social media is a good platform to share your happiness and sorrows, but it is suggested to keep your profile low at it while going on a vacation. This is because you do not know who is seeking to come to your address when you are not there. So, try to avoid your vacations online. If you want to share the pictures of your vacation on social media sites, try to post them when you come back home. In this way, keeping a low profile is another way of protecting your home when you are away on vacation.
- Outdoor Sensor Light Installation: This is another security tip that you can follow while going on a vacation. Outdoor sensor light is one of those electronic things of the current time that is there for not very tech-savvy people. Floodlights that can sense the motion can also be useful for the general security of home and even all around the year. Some of these sensor lights have technology that they turn off and on at some specific times of the day. As mentioned above setting a time for on and off your indoor lights gives the impression that someone comes at night every day.
- Advertise the Security of Your Home: Advertising the security system that you have for your home for sure deter the burglars, so it is suggested to advise it. Post the stickers that say ‘You are under CCTV surveillance’ at some obvious places of your house like entry gate, back gate, and the side doors for garages.
Wrapping It Up!
Getting excited before vacation and forgetting some valuable matters are some of the common things. However, with some of the common forgettable like did I turn the iron off? Did I keep turn off all the lights? It is suggested to not to forget to safeguard your home. The aforementioned are some of the tips to protect your home while going on vacation, out of which purchasing a home insurance policy is highly recommended.