Guwahati: Five masked people allegedly involved in the August 19 incidents in Shillong, including attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, have been identified, according to the Meghalaya government.
The development came after senior officials from Assam and Meghalaya met at the Koinadhara State Guest House on August 22.
Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister S. Dhar and Assam Minister Atul Bora led the meeting, which lasted more than three hours and reviewed the incidents and their aftermath.
Meghalaya has formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to identify others allegedly involved in the incidents. The team will focus particularly on those accused of attacking Assam-registered vehicles and take legal action against them.
Police have registered 15 FIRs in connection with the August 19 incidents, the government said. It also informed Assam that KSU president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar had been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.
The Meghalaya government expressed regret over the incidents and said firm action would be taken against those found responsible.
More than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have been escorted from Meghalaya into Assam to assist stranded travellers. The Assam Control Room received 54 distress calls involving 175 people, including passengers in 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles. Meghalayaโs Control Room received 379 distress calls and said assistance was being arranged for safe travel.
Most stranded people and vehicles have now moved through key transit points, including the Umiam Lake area. Around 400โ500 vehicles had earlier been stranded in Meghalaya. The meeting decided that those still unable to leave would be escorted to Assam over the next 48 hours.
The two states have also agreed to establish a joint communication mechanism between senior police officials. It will include helplines and an online forum to locate stranded people and provide assistance. The arrangement will remain in place until normal conditions are restored.
The two sides have proposed setting up permanent district-level committees involving officials from Nongpoh and Kamrup Metropolitan to address issues arising along the border.
Another joint body involving transport authorities and tourist vehicle associations will be formed to manage tourist traffic and protect the interests of the tourism sector.
The governments have also agreed to facilitate safe travel for passengers and vehicles between Assam and Meghalaya, including those travelling through Meghalaya between the Barak Valley and other parts of Assam.
